Throughout this project, we will question:
— what are ways of displaying digital work in a gallery space?
— what are novel forms of interactivity?
— how does scale, audience, and duration affect digital works?
Create a digital animation that is intended for a large-scale wall projection or a browser-based interactive work that follows the theme Artist as Visionary as Innovator as Architect as Seer.
- Dimensions: 1080 × 1920
- File Format: .mp4; 24fps;
- Duration: 1 minute
- Sound is optional (designed using Audition, no popular/copyrighted songs)
- Housed on a page on your website as an embedded video from Vimeo (sign up for an account if you have one)
This must be a live website, linked on your portfolio site.
- September 5: Project 1 Assigned
- September 12: Project Proposals
- September 19: Draft Review
- September 26: Studio Class – 50% Complete /Audio Review
- October 3: Project 1 Due
- October 10: Project 1 Revisions Due – Review
- October 17: Gallery Install of Videos/Interactive Pages
— Rhizome, The Art Happens Here
— David Jhave Johnston, Aesthetic Animism
— Thomas Dreher, History of Computer Art, “VI.3.2 HTML Art”
— Brenda Laurel, Computers as Theater, excerpt
— Tamiko Thiel, “Cyber-Animism and Augmented Dreams”
— Georges Perec, “An Attempt at Exhausting a Place in Paris”, 1974 (re: Kyle McDonald)
Credit: Readings are located on the site of Mindy Seu, a designer and instructor of another section of Design 3A
References // Artworks
— Jeffrey Shaw, Legible City
— John Whitney, Matrix III
— Kyle McDonald, Exhausting a Crowd
— Moniker, clickclickclick.click
— NaHee Kim, Boob Blobs
— Reddit, Reddit Place /r/place
— Wafaa Bilal, Domestic Tension
— Gasper Noe, Enter the Void
— Penelope Umbrico, All the Catalogs
— Dina Kelberman, I’m Google
— Adriana Ramic, Craigslist-Assisted Readymade
— Lust NL, Jurriaan Schrofer, Type/Dynamics
— Jono Brandel, Typatone
— Cooper Hewitt, Immersion Room
— Young Hae Chang Heavy Industries